Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I Too, Believe In Harvey Dent

Before I begin my blog, I would like to thank Kris for being a very generous host and to our teacher for having such a mega kick-a class. I'm going to touch base on a few things I liked in Understanding Comics before moving on to The Dark Knight Returns.

In Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud, I found it awesome that the writer approaches his book about comics in a comic book or graphic novel style. That was awesome. It kept my attention, which is usually like that of a gold fish and kept me wanting to read more. Very good approach, in my opinion. I also like the humor in the book, like on page 2 when the author speaks about getting into Comics the first time and it shows a panel of him reading a comic that says, "Really Old X-Men." That was funny to me because I am a fan of classic X-Men as apposed to the newer wave where Gambit, my favorite X-Man is dead and Rogue is boffing Iceman. Not that Iceman isn't cool, because we all know he is, but still...Gambit trumps Popsicle Boy but I digress.

I also like how Scotty sees comics from a historical standpoint. All the way back to scrolls and Egyptian Hieroglyphics. I like this approach because it makes comics seem less "kiddish" and shows people that at one time or another, everyone in history has read a comic in one form or another. So yeah! Put that in your lunch box and take it to school, you comic haters!
Now, on to The Dark Knight. I must admit I am having trouble reading the comic because I am far from my family and my good friend Fitz who adores the comic and could talk for hours on the subject. I miss them terribly, but I'm doing my best to get through the book. I have noticed that a lot of things from The Dark Knight Returns have appeared in the newest movie, The Dark Knight. Such as Harvey Dent's campaign slogan for the movie, "I Believe In Harvey Dent" is featured in the comic. Bruce Wayne says that they "Must Believe In Harvey Dent," for a lot of the comic's grittiness can also be seen in the movie. The choppy, realistic dialogue and character development are also present from comic to movie. It's pretty awesome. ^.^

-Ash

1 comment:

Kristopher said...

First off, I am applauding you covering "Understanding Comics" before anyone else! I agree McCloud was ingenious through talking about comics through...a comic medium!

I know I'll do my post about Scott McCloud and the stuff he's talking about. I felt compelled to do something Batman-related and exploring Batman himself was the best place for me to start.

- Kristopher