Friday, September 5, 2008

Robin, The Girl Wonder

It has been a spell since my first post and I apologize for that. I am adjusting being so far from home and recently found out some very sad news that hasn't left me in the greatest of spirits. But I have been reading The Dark Knight Returns as often as I am able in between my various life demands. I am a bit slow, but I find myself going back a lot to take in the art of the book and scenes that my eye has skipped over in favor of something more exciting on the next page. Plus, like I said, I have the attention span of a gold fish.

Anywho, so far in TDKR, my favorite part has to be the scenes with Robin. I think in many ways, the return of a sidekick gave an aging Batman more reason to live and to love again and perhaps even closure over Jason Todd's death which he feels very heavily for. This imagery in comics is reflected with the great Captain America and his sidekick, Bucky Barnes, who meets a tragic end as well. Or so we think. But I'm getting away from myself.

When Batman is losing in the garbage dump to the leader of the Mutants, he thinks about Dick Grayson coming to save him every time the chips were down. Lucky for him, his luck hadn't run out and the girl, a former Girl Scout, saves his bum. She rescues him and becomes the next Robin, however temporary.

I also like the fact that Robin is a girl. Miller seems to have an affinity for strong women. You can see this reflected in his Sin City comics. Most of the women may be hookers in that comics, but they're self efficient hookers that don't need to rely on a big strong man for saving. This new Robin is no exception. In fact, like I said, she saves Batman. One of my favorite drawings in the book is of Bruce Wayne holding here in the Bat Cave. Perhaps it's the fact that I myself had been looking for a father figure most of my childhood that makes me like this picture.

There are many great plot points and pictures in the comic, but the above mentioned is my favorite and I just had to blog about it. I do plan to Blog more as it is not in my habit to slack, but in light of recent bad news, my next blog might not be for a few days. Wish me luck!

-Ashley

No comments: